Thursday, December 29, 2011

Off the Bone Barbeque


DALLAS: Off The Bone Barbeque
1734 South Lamar Street
Dallas, Texas 75215
214-565-9551

Open Tues-W 11-6, Thur 11-9, F-Sat 11-2am
www.offthebonebarbeque.com/

Update: I've been critical of this joint in the past, mainly because they didn't adhere to my idea of great barbecue. You won't find butcher paper at Off the Bone and you'll certainly find sauce on everything, and plenty of it. Then again, this is really the norm in Dallas, so why not go judge it on its own merits? After two years, I wanted to give it a return visit (especially after this) and I'm glad I did.



A comobo plate of chopped beef and ribs is the option I chose for a recent lunch. I've lamented in the past that they won't offer a sliced brisket, and the menu on this day was no different. I would soon learn that sliced brisket had just been added as an option, but more on that later. Ribs here are more tender than most, but not mushy. The bones will always be clean when you're finished eating. Like every other meat, they come covered in the house made vinegar heavy tomato based sauce. A bit of sweetness helps to tame the acidity, and this really is a good sauce. It goes just as well with the pile of chopped beef that has a great smokiness due to all the charred bits that are added in. Smokier than the ribs, and I was wishing I could try this stuff sliced.

That's when I was ambushed. Owner Dwight Harvey and his son Steve approached my seat at the bar. "How'd you like your lunch Mr. Vaughn?" I'd been spotted, and it quickly went through my head that my previous reviews of this joint had not been kind. Not to worry as these two could smother you in hospitality, and they had a genuine interest in my thoughts. Quickly reflecting on the meal, it was a good one. Pleasing sides of beans and potato salad are made in house, the meat was well smoked and the sauce they insist on covering everything in was very good. I liked the meal, and I would happily return. That's when I learned an even better reason to return. They had just started offering sliced brisket.



After the meal I got a tour of the small operation. An all pecan-fired J&R Little Red Smokehouse sits in the small kitchen where we dodged prep cooks chopping potatoes for tomorrow's salad. Mr. Harvey could not have been a better host.



Just after the holidays I finally had a free lunch hour to go back for some of that sliced beef. A 1/2 pound snack was quickly consumed by a friend and I, and it was good. Very good. It's on the high end of what you can get anywhere in Dallas. It thankfully came with sauce on the side, and the black crust beckoned. The meat was perfectly tender with a great smoky flavor. A thin line of delectable fat had been left on to render, and it coupled with the crusty end piece made for a intense bite of brisket. Why they haven't been serving this stuff all along is a mystery, but it will be my go-to order on any return visits.

Rating ***

October 2009: You may have read the Dallas Observer's "Best of Dallas" edition which named Off the Bone Barbeque as the top BBQ joint in Big D. I've been less than impressed on a few visits in the past, but I headed to check things out after the story broke. I thought maybe they'd started serving actual sliced brisket, or maybe their meats now had some smokiness. Ordering up a combo plate of ribs and brisket (only chopped is available), I found neither fault had been remedied on this latest trip.



Their liberal use of sauce in the past clued me in that they're probably getting most of their flavor from it. It's a salty and smoky concoction that works well with the meat, but the meat's usually swimming in a lake of the sauce. I ordered the meats with sauce on the side to get at the essence of the protein. The use of some added moisture was evident on the first bite of the chopped beef. The mixture of meat to fat and crust was good, but this is a hard dish to screw up. Ribs were disappointing. The meat fell from the bone, evidence of overcooking. With the amount of time these had to spend over heat, I'd expect them to be as smokey as and ash tray, but even bites of just the outer crust yielded none of the pecan smoke flavor whatsoever. If these babies are smoked then they must be wrapped tight the entire time. Even my smoke averse wife couldn't detect any.

Sides were good with a blue cheese flecked cole slaw that tasted fresh and homemade. Chunks of brisket were in the smoky sweet baked beans adding some good texture and flavor. As I've said before, this is definitely a spot for good tasting food, it's just not great BBQ.

May 2009: Yesterday's Dallas Morning News Guide included a new review of this joint. With the high rating it received, I decided to give it another shot. The menu has not changed, with the only meats offered being ribs, sausage and chopped brisket. Sliced brisket is only offered if you have an event catered by the company. Chopped beef is presauced, and stored in warming bins to be served. I opted instead to try the ribs and sausage which arrived sauced.



It seems the proprietors here choose to rely on the flavor of their sauce rather than the flavor of smoke. In fact, a smoker wasn't anywhere to be found. The rib meat was tender, truly falling off the bone as if baked into submission. The flavor was decent, but overly salty from the to generous helping of sauce heaped on top. The sausage was better than average, with a medium grind a good snap to the casing. The flavor of the meat was hard to distinguish behind all of that sauce, but it was pretty good stuff. What really shines here are the well prepared sides. The potato salad was rich with mustard and egg, and the sweet baked beans were flecked with pork and onions. I wish they'd just offer a choice of sauce so I wouldn't have to wonder about what they're trying to hide below the copious amounts of it.

2008: This place is hard to categorize. I hesitate even reviewing it because it falls outside of what this website considers to be true Barbeque. The brisket only comes chopped, the ribs are parboiled, and everything comes sauced. All that being said, the food is good. The ribs have great flavor and are truly fall-off-the-bone tender, while the brisket is smoky with a nice crust. The owner said they don't serve sliced brisket because it would just fall apart, so I'm guessing it might be steamed as well as smoked. All that being said, I can't justify giving it an official rating on this site.
Off the Bone on Urbanspoon

7 comments:

EatGoodFood said...

BBQ Snob,

Yes the q' here is different, but I can assure you there is a smoker there. Go inside and look along the right side wall at the back. You will see the face of an Oyler Model 700 pit. Nothing is parboiled here as all the BBQ meats are cooked in this wood fired (only) pit. What you are detecting and describing is a result particular method of BBQ'ing employed by the owner and involves cooking in foil and several sauce cycles after the initial smoke cycle....all taking place in the Oyler pit. The finishing in the foil causes a steaming effect making the brisket un-sliceable and the rib meat fall off the bone (just like the name). I agree it is different, but like you said the food is good. And the place is popular! Starting off with just lunch less than a year ago, they now stay open on Friday and Saturday nights until 2am. Why? Because people keep coming back for more. While the BBQ may be hard for you to categorize on the website, you have to admit it is good groceries.
Enjoy.

Kim said...

Totally disagree with your review. I loved everything about Off the Bone. Had the rack, sandwich and sides last night and will definitely go back for the food, the staff and the porch. Fabulous!

BBQ Snob said...

This joint definitely puts out good food, or "good groceries" as described above. You'll get no argument from me there. But a great example of smoky Texas BBQ that can stand alone without sauce, this is not.

Josh said...

I totally disagree as well, the ribs here are some of the best I have ever had. The sauce is great and was not a deterrent for me. Most BBQ places have terrible ribs so I was very excited to find this place.I will be back and back and back.

kYle said...

I have smoked many a briskets using The Texas Crutch and was able to slice every one of them.

I do not know the exact technique used at Off The Bone, but my question is this. If cooking in foil "causes a steaming effect" does it matter if your heat source is a smoker? For all intents and purposes, you're using steam instead of heat & smoke to cook the meat.

Anonymous said...

I have to wholeheartedly disagree. I think this place has some of the best, and most unique ribs around. And I'm not just some guy off the street. I'm from South Carolina and I know a thing or two about the hog. These ribs are fantastic. Not only is the food here awesome, but so is the staff. I asked and they showed me the smoker, and trust me, it was all wood fired.

Nate said...

This Off the Bone is different from the #1 rated Off The Bone. The #1 rated Off The Bone is in Forrest Hill near Ft Worth at 5144 Mansfield Hwy.

DISCLAIMER:

Each joint is judged on the essence of Texas 'cue...sliced brisket and pork ribs. Sausage is only considered if house made. Sauce is good, but good meat needs no adornment to satisfy. Each review can only be based on specific cuts of meat on that particular day. Finally, if the place fries up catfish or serves a caesar salad, then chances are they aren't paying enough attention to the pits, so we mostly steered clear.

-THE PROPHETS OF SMOKED MEAT