Friday, September 11, 2009

Dr. Bell's Open for Business


Update: Dr. Bell's is now open...really. See comments below.

Update: Still not open on 9/8...stand by for an actual opening date.

Update: We have been informed that Dr. Bell's will not open until next Monday, 9/7. Our apologies if you went out of your way.

Today brings another announcement for the opening of a genuine joint in Downtown Dallas. Thanks to a reader's tip, and story on Thrillist, I learned that Dr. Bell's just opened this week on Main Street. A quote form the article makes my mouth water "the menu will rest on classics: seven pecan-smoked meats (brisket, pulled pork, hot links, turkey breast, beef/pork ribs, chicken) offered on sandwiches, soft tacos, sliders, and plates, plus nine sides including sweet pork-n-beans, baked mac, and collard greens boiled down with onion, garlic, sugar, and ham hock". The Doctor is in.

- BBQ Snob

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

We went by there today for lunch, still not open yet. Had to settle for Campisi's... :(

Anonymous said...

I stopped by on my lunch hour and Dr. Bell's isn't open for business just yet. I was told next week, by Monday, Sept. 7.

PM Summer said...

Eisenburg? Rudy's?

Really...

Anonymous said...

Still not open as of Tue eve--9/8

runDMC said...

Just opened at noon today. Everyone was very enthusiastic but there are many kinks to work out.
The fatty brisket has promise. The pulled pork was sliced and tough. The links (from US Foods) were cold. No ribs yet.
Give 'em a couple of weeks to get it all together.

Anonymous said...

kinks yes but what I had late in the day was fairly satifying, enough so that I will be back when he has not run out of so much
talked to the doctor and he told me that he would have ribs by monday and I will be ready to try
earlier comment about the pork dissapoinst me hope it ends up being really pulled did not get to try as they were already out when I got there

Anonymous said...

I've been hearing very bad things about the food quality, the prices, and service problems. I'll wait till Dr. Bell's gets the Full Custom Gospel diagnosis before heading over there.

Big Jason said...

I live across the street so I decided to give this place a try. As others have mentioned, the fatty brisket has promise; liked the crusty bits. Pulled pork was OK but was disappointed with the hot links, tasted like Hickory Farms. Collard Greens were a little undercooked and the BBQ Beans didn't have any spice. I think I'll give it another go when they have the beef ribs...

DISCLAIMER:

Each joint is judged on the essence of Texas 'cue...sliced brisket and pork ribs. Sausage is only considered if house made. Sauce is good, but good meat needs no adornment to satisfy. Each review can only be based on specific cuts of meat on that particular day. Finally, if the place fries up catfish or serves a caesar salad, then chances are they aren't paying enough attention to the pits, so we mostly steered clear.

-THE PROPHETS OF SMOKED MEAT