Saturday, April 24, 2010

Leo's Bar-B-Q


OKLAHOMA: Leo's Bar-B-Q
3631 N Kelley Ave

Oklahoma City, OK 73111

405-424-5367

Open M-Sat 11-8


While I'd already visited the downtown location, I'd heard rumors that the original Leo's was reopening. As I approcahed the corner of 36th and Kelley, I could see the smoke billowing. It was after 2:00, so the haphazard drive-thru was my only option. I like that the menu offers "1 rib", so I went with that and a sliced brisket sandwich.



The tough brisket was chunked rather than sliced, and the meat without crust had little smoke flavor. Even with the crust, the meat needed more flavor. The "1 rib" ordered ended up getting me a mangled spare rib, and a rib end. While the large rib was chilly and full of mainly fat, the nicely cooked rib end had great smoke flavor, and it was nicely seasoned with salt and plenty of black pepper. Given the spotty ribs, and the barely average brisket, I was a bit stunned that so many had talked up the original location when it was closed. I guess memories grow fonder after something's been gone for a while. I guess all I'll have are memories too, because I won't be back.

Rating **
Leo's Bar-B-Q the Original on Urbanspoon

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Leos was on DDD tonight and guy sure talked them up.

DISCLAIMER:

Each joint is judged on the essence of Texas 'cue...sliced brisket and pork ribs. Sausage is only considered if house made. Sauce is good, but good meat needs no adornment to satisfy. Each review can only be based on specific cuts of meat on that particular day. Finally, if the place fries up catfish or serves a caesar salad, then chances are they aren't paying enough attention to the pits, so we mostly steered clear.

-THE PROPHETS OF SMOKED MEAT