Saturday, June 26, 2010

Charby's BBQ & Burgers


HURST: Charby's BBQ & Burgers
145 W. Pipeline Rd.

Hurst, TX 76053

817-280-0656

Open Daily 11-9


Update: This joint is CLOSED.

2010: Open since early May, this joint is still working on a permanent look. The sign is a tied on banner, and a poster board with block letters of the name an address of the joint are taped to the window. Ordering is done at the register, after which your order is compiled back in the kitchen. After getting my bag full of goodies, I went to enjoy them in the car. Just before I ate, there was a tap on the window from the owner asking why I was taking photos of the sign. I was startled and evasive, mainly because I wouldn't have been able to give him an honest opinion of the still untried smoked meat. He left to let me enjoy the waiting meal.



One of my favorite Texas dishes is pea salad. The mixture of crispy bacon, sharp cheddar, creamy dressing and fresh peas create a vibrant pop in every bite. This sad rendition was a mish-mash of flavors due mainly to the use of bland canned peas. In comparison, the Charby beans were a revelation from the standard bland ranch beans. These were sweet beans with the addition of onions and bacon for a smoky and savory concoction.

Meats showed potential. Brisket had a good beefy flavor, with some smokiness in the crust. The smoke didn't penetrate the meat, and the slices were a bit dry and tough. Slicing against the grain rather than with it would have made for more tender meat. Ribs however, were great. Smokey St. Louis cut ribs were meaty. The bark on the ribs had a robust flavor, and any fat in these ribs was perfectly rendered. I admit this rating is based a bit on potential given their early age, but if the ribs are always this good, and they learn to slice the brisket right, Charby's could really put out some good smoked protein.

Rating ***
Charby's BBQ & Burgers on Urbanspoon

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Something about this review really makes me want to root for this place, and I was already feeling this before reading the last two sentences.

I agree with you about pea salad, when done right it is refreshing and tasty.

I think what made me want to wish for them to succeed was the inclusion of pea salad and the owner obviously taking an active interest in caring for his business.

In any case, I will be stopping by after my next ride in Ft. Worth for some ribs.

DISCLAIMER:

Each joint is judged on the essence of Texas 'cue...sliced brisket and pork ribs. Sausage is only considered if house made. Sauce is good, but good meat needs no adornment to satisfy. Each review can only be based on specific cuts of meat on that particular day. Finally, if the place fries up catfish or serves a caesar salad, then chances are they aren't paying enough attention to the pits, so we mostly steered clear.

-THE PROPHETS OF SMOKED MEAT