Sunday, June 20, 2010

Porky's Bar-B-Q


KAUFMAN: Porky's Bar-B-Q
303 West Grove St

Kaufman, TX 75142

972-932-6824

Open Sun-W 11-8, Thur-Sat 11-9


The giant chicken head above the ordering window makes me think this may have been a fried chicken house at some point, but the smell of smoke as I drove up let me know what was going on out back. I ordered a three meat plate that included ribs, sliced brisket and Pittsburg hot links, all through one of the small windows out front.



After about 15 minutes, my order was ready, and so was I. I dug into the slices of beef which had a great smokiness to them. They could have been a bit more moist and flavorful, but it was some above average brisket. Ribs were better with great flavor and good texture. The meat was smokey and not too dry. The hot links are from a Texas legend, but they are somewhat of an acquired taste to me. The links are the texture of a hot dog with the flavor of taco meat and incredible high saltiness. The fake red coloring is odd and unnecessary, but they were definitely unique. The experience didn't prohibit me from trying to acquire that taste.

Sides of okra and mac & cheese were both great, and in my book Porky's is worth the exit off of Highway 175 for anyone passing by Kaufman. Just order an extra water if you get those hot links.

Rating ***
Porky's BBQ on Urbanspoon

1 comment:

Travis Erwin said...

Robinson's BBQ in Amarillo deserves a spot on the map.

DISCLAIMER:

Each joint is judged on the essence of Texas 'cue...sliced brisket and pork ribs. Sausage is only considered if house made. Sauce is good, but good meat needs no adornment to satisfy. Each review can only be based on specific cuts of meat on that particular day. Finally, if the place fries up catfish or serves a caesar salad, then chances are they aren't paying enough attention to the pits, so we mostly steered clear.

-THE PROPHETS OF SMOKED MEAT