Friday, February 18, 2011

Brother Man's BBQ


DALLAS: Brother Man's BBQ
3121 S Loop 12

Dallas, TX 75216

214-426-1101
Open Daily 10-8


The only thing that remains from the original location of Brother Man's is the sign hanging on their new building along Loop 12 just west of I-45. The original building was demolished for an unknown development probably related to the new DART line. I was happy to see that they found new digs, so I dropped in a for a meaty combo.



The interior was much brighter, and the service was more welcoming than my previous visit. I love a place that has a combo plates on their menu that don't include sides. It allows me to focus on the meat. What hinders that focus is the sauce. When I heard the pitmaster ask the guy behind me if he wanted sauce or not on his plate, I assumed it was commonplace for them to put sauce on the side for a to-go order. Wrong. I opened the foil to find drowned meat, but luckily the sauce was pretty good. Brisket was tender, but light on smoke. The meat went well with the sauce, but used it more as a crutch than a compliment. Ribs were meaty with well rendered fat. They had more smoke than the beef, and were more enjoyable overall. These would be my choice on a return visit, with some sauce on the side to dip them in.

Rating **
Brother Man's BBQ on Urbanspoon

No comments:

DISCLAIMER:

Each joint is judged on the essence of Texas 'cue...sliced brisket and pork ribs. Sausage is only considered if house made. Sauce is good, but good meat needs no adornment to satisfy. Each review can only be based on specific cuts of meat on that particular day. Finally, if the place fries up catfish or serves a caesar salad, then chances are they aren't paying enough attention to the pits, so we mostly steered clear.

-THE PROPHETS OF SMOKED MEAT