Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Ernie's BBQ & Soul Food


DALLAS: Ernie's BBQ & Soul Food
2537 South Buckner Blvd.

Dallas, TX 75227

214-388-8010
Open M-Tues & Thur-Sat 11-8, Sun 12-7

www.erniesbbque.com


The weekday lunch hour was not yet over, but this joint was dead. Various soul food items were uncovered and slowly drying on an unattended steam table. Alone in the dining room, I waited for someone to come out of the kitchen. The owner emerged. No ribs today, but they had some brisket. I wasn't given visual access as the owner ducked back through the swinging doors, only to emerge a few minutes later with a foil wrapped sandwich.



I opened the hefty package in the car where I found chewy slices of warmed over and overly salty brisket. It had a flavor closer to jerky, and the sweet commercial sauce did little to elevate the flavor. I didn't try the soul food here, but it seems that's the real focus given the menu. The sandwich didn't really give me much hope for the ribs, so I doubt I'll make it back to try them.

Rating *
Ernies BBQ & Soul Food on Urbanspoon

No comments:

DISCLAIMER:

Each joint is judged on the essence of Texas 'cue...sliced brisket and pork ribs. Sausage is only considered if house made. Sauce is good, but good meat needs no adornment to satisfy. Each review can only be based on specific cuts of meat on that particular day. Finally, if the place fries up catfish or serves a caesar salad, then chances are they aren't paying enough attention to the pits, so we mostly steered clear.

-THE PROPHETS OF SMOKED MEAT