Wednesday, June 27, 2012

J B Smokehouse


LOS FRESNOS: J B Smoke House
327 W.Ocean Blvd.
Los Fresnos, TX 78566
956-233-2013
Open Daily?

Instead of an appetizing carving board, the first thing that greets you inside J B Smokehouse is a steam table full of meats and vegetables with a fogged up sneeze guard dripping with condensation. The sauce covering a few remaining ribs bubbled in a hot pan, and the bottom of the brisket had crisped under the incessant heat.

















It had been a long day of eating and we had just stuffed ourselves at Wild Blue BBQ on the outskirts of town. I knew before we opened the box on the trunk of the car that this was going to be tough to enjoy. The brisket was thoroughly dried out from its prolonged stay on the warming tray. The meat just crumbled apart as I tried to pick it up. Ribs stayed together better as I took a hefty bite from the center. The edges were chewy and the interior stewed beyond tender. The fat had an off flavor from the extended holding period. I contemplated all of this as I continued chewing. Mastication fatigue was setting in and the trigger that controls my swallowing just wouldn't kick in. I realized that I wasn't going to be able to swallow it. Friends joke that I must have something like a wine spitoon in order to eat at so many places. It wasn't quite a spitoon, but I had to spit out that big bite of rib into the gravel parking lot. There was no need to swallow and less reason to return.

Rating *

1 comment:

Unknown said...

It seems to me you have a swallowing problem, please see a doctor for this.:)
PS: I am a regular customer and recommend them to all my family and friends.

DISCLAIMER:

Each joint is judged on the essence of Texas 'cue...sliced brisket and pork ribs. Sausage is only considered if house made. Sauce is good, but good meat needs no adornment to satisfy. Each review can only be based on specific cuts of meat on that particular day. Finally, if the place fries up catfish or serves a caesar salad, then chances are they aren't paying enough attention to the pits, so we mostly steered clear.

-THE PROPHETS OF SMOKED MEAT